Oak Grove has a Proud History
Oak Grove Elementary is one of the elementary schools located in Turner Unified School District in Kansas City, Kansas. It is located at 5340 Oak Grove Road in Southern Wyandotte County.
The original brick building, Oak Grove district No. 2, was built in 1872 at Gibbs Road and Key Lane. In 2911 a two-room wood frame building was built at the present site at a cost of $2,150. The school originally housed students in kindergarten through 8th grade. The bell memorial, now by the Oak Grove library, hung in the wood building and was used to call the pupils to school each morning. It could be heard throughout the district from 47th street on the east, County Line Road on the south, 63rd street on the west, and Barber on the north.In those days most children walked to school but the more fortunate rode ponies.
In the early 1950's Highland Crest was developed and school enrollment skyrocketed. Six bond issues were passed over the following few years and Oak Grove grew from a two-room school to a complex with an enrollment of over 1450 students.
In 1962 unification began and junior high schools were constructed. Beginning in September 1964, Oak Grove operated as an elementary school, teaching kindergarten through 6th grade. With he 2006 completion of the Turner Elementary Learning Center, Oak Grove became a 1st through 6th grade school with an average enrollment of 500 students.
In the year 2012, Turner Early Learning Center changed to Turner Sixth Grade Academy and Oak Grove changed to a preschool through 5th grade school. Soon after, in 2013, Turner presented a bond referendum to area voters for upgraded security in all schools and plans to build a new Oak Grove Elementary School. Voters passed the bond and construction started soon after. The new Oak Grove Elementary opened it's doors to students for the 2015-2016 school year.