Thank you for supporting our schools! The voters of USD 202 overwhelmingly approved a $44 million bond election on January 29, 2019 to address a number of needs across the district, touching every school. Projects were identified with input from our community.
- New and remodeled space at Turner Middle School
- Providing necessary improvements at all of our schools
- Safety and security upgrades at all buildings
- Classroom furnishings and painting at all buildings
- Improved vehicle access at Turner Elementary (scheduled for Summer 2019)
- Air Conditioning at Turner Elementary, Midland Trail Elementary, and Journey School of Choice (scheduled for Summer of 2019)
- New commercial kitchen for the Culinary Arts program at Turner High School
- Districtwide heating, cooling, asphalt, concrete, and roofing projects.
- Bond Results
- How many years will it take to pay off the 2019 bond?
- What will happen to Swartz Field?
- What about the auditorium and field house at the middle school?
- What about the other buildings?
- How will the District Athletic Center (DAC) be financed?
- When would construction begin?
- How is this a "no tax increase" bond issue?
- What about baseball?
We have preliminary data from the election office. Please be mindful that this data will change (somewhat) as ballots that were postmarked today are received through Friday. The official canvass is scheduled for February 7th which is when the data will become “official”. Thank you for your help spreading information during the campaign! We look forward to working with you as the much needed upgrades are realized!
Every building in the district will see some impact. Possible projects include:
- Turner High School-Family and Consumer Science demonstration space, carpeting, and HVAC updates.
- Journey School of Choice-Gymnasium HVAC upgrades.
- Turner Elementary-Chiller and HVAC upgrades and improved vehicle access.
- Midland Trail Elementary-Chiller and HVAC upgrades and locker room remodel into classroom space.
- Junction Elementary-HVAC upgrades.
- District Wide Improvements-Safety and Security, Classroom Furnishings, Concrete Work, Asphalt Paving, Roof Replacements, Flooring Replacements, Painting
The District Athletic Complex (DAC) will be paid for from USD 202 Capital Outlay Budget. Because usual capital expenses are being financed through the bond issue, this allows funds from the Capital Outlay Budget to be used on the DAC. By combining the two projects and funding methods, the district is able to take advantage of the maximum state aid and help decrease the local burden to patrons of USD 202.
If the bond issue for the new middle school and the various capital improvements district wide does not pass, the DAC would not be constructed as those funds would be needed for the planned repairs.
If the bond passes in January work on the DAC would begin in October of 2019 with plans to use during the 2020-2021 school year. The new middle school construction would begin in January of 2020 with plans to occupy for the 2021-2022 school year. District-wide projects could begin as soon as summer of 2019.