The Turner Foundation is dedicated to the continuous development and enhancement of the extracurricular, co-curricular, and cultural experiences of all Turner USD 202 students, families, faculty, and the community through the promotion of academics, activities, athletics, and school spirit.
Donations & Memberships
Supportive patrons, staff, and business partners can make a tax-deductible donation to the Turner Foundation in one or more ways:
- Patrons can purchase a $50 "membership" which includes free passes to all Turner home athletic events (with the exception of state playoff events).
- Patrons and business partners can make a direct donation in any amount desired.
- Turner staff may purchase a "membership" or make a direct donation which may be administered as a payroll deduction.
Memberships can be purchased at Turner High School or at THS home football games. Memberships can also be submitted by completing one of the below membership forms and returning it with payment to:
Turner High School
Attn: Lesa Kooken
2211 S. 55th St.
Kansas City, KS 66106
|President/Executive Director||Sara Wilsonemail@example.com|
|Vice President||Camellia Whitefirstname.lastname@example.org|
Foundation Board of Directors
|Tara Hudson||Principal, Turner Elementary||(913)email@example.com|
|Alan Penrose||Principal, Turner High School||(913)firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Doug Powers||Assistant Superintendent of Business & Public Relations||(913)email@example.com|
|Vikki Mullins||Board Member||(913)firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jennifer Pickard||Board Member||(913)953-6720||Jennifer.email@example.com|
The Turner Foundation currently supports three programs designed to enhance the educational lives of its students. They are senior scholarships, student enrichment programs, and teaching and learning grants.
The Turner Foundation has issued scholarships to selected graduates of Turner High School since the 2006-2007 school year. Initially the scholarship amount was a one time $250 award. In the 2009-2010 year, the scholarship amount was raised to $1,000. Foundation Scholarship Awardees are as follows:
Because fifty percent of the funds generated by the Turner Foundation may be targeted to a school or organization, each school, regardless of level, has an equal opportunity to aggregate funds on its own behalf. Additionally, each donor can stipulate the student organization or building to which the fifty percent may be applied. Funds generated in this manner will be available through the Student Enrichment Program to supplement educational experiences for students.
Turner District teachers may apply, through an application process, for funds to initiate innovative practices within their classrooms through the the Teaching and Learning Grant program.
2016 Teaching & Learning Grant Awardees
- Jim Benz (Turner Middle School)
- Kelly Castro (Turner Middle School)
- Tracy Dickerson (Turner High School)
- Jennifer Gadd (Turner Middle School)
- Chaur Jacobson (Turner High School)
- Audra McEvoy (Administrative Service Center)
- Elise Truitt (Turner Middle School)
It comes as no surprise to educational supporters such as yourself that funding for education has been in turmoil for several years now. Increasingly, as the general economy becomes more and more strained, funding for education suffers. Although boards of education and educators in general are quite willing to "do their part" in responding to the tough economic times, often the end result has its greatest impact on our children and their learning opportunities. Effective learning environments are supplemented and enhanced by access to funds which are usually not included when minimal state and local funding formulas are addressed. For this reason, many school districts are setting up voluntary programs to enhance educational funding. Turner has done this with the establishment of the Turner Foundation.
Through the Turner Foundation, students at every level-from kindergarten through graduating seniors have an opportunity to benefit from the generosity of the Turner community. In exchange, Turner supporters can benefit from their contributions to the program by one, directing their contributions to the student group of their preference and two, receiving a tax donation. How does this work?
- The contributor can designate the student group or function to which 50% of the funds will be directed. Thus, for example, an individual purchasing a fifty dollar membership can direct $25 to a preferred student activity within any of the Turner schools.
- Twenty-five percent of the membership or contributions are directed toward the scholarship program, which benefit graduating seniors each year.
- Twenty-five percent goes into the Foundation's operating budget. In addition to the minimal amount of funds that are used to administer the Foundation, assets in the operating budget are used to support two functions, in addition to the scholarship program: Student Enrichment Programs and Teaching and Learning Grants. Both of these programs directly benefit students in their classrooms at all levels throughout the district.
The Turner Foundation not only raises funds through the sale of memberships, it is also organized to accept direct donations from individuals and groups. The establishment of Business Partners are sought as another means of channeling funds to student learning events in the district. A portion of concession profits from THS activities is retained by the host group while a percentage flows to the Turner Foundation. The host organization, such as the football boosters, has the option of directing 50% of the money going to the Turner Foundation to its preferred student activity (presumably, in this case, the football program).
For those who would like to sustain Turner students through their leading projects, senior scholarship, and extra-curricular activities by purchasing a membership or making a donation to the Turner Foundation, you may contact a Turner Foundation officer or board member, contact any Turner school administrator, or download a membership form.
If you have further questions about the Turner Foundation, you are invited to contact the Foundation President, Camellia White at 913-205-9221, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.